Thanks for stopping by. For a peek at my studio click here.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Once Upon a Steampunk Fairy Class with Deb Wood!

I am so excited! I bought myself an early birthday present. I am going to be attending a live sculpting workshop with the amazing Deb Wood in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida in April 2018 (my birthday month!). Deb Wood is the artist behind Enchanted Hearts dolls as well as the International Art Doll Registry.

This class is being hosted by another amazing artist, Adele Sciortino, the creator of A for Artistic online store/classroom and an artist whose dolls and costuming are extraordinary! If you are not familiar with her website you should really check it out. Here you will find are a large variety of online doll making classes for many different doll making mediums(fabric, clay...). The site is beautiful and the classes that I have taken through it are well throught out, thorough and worth every penny spent!

I have wanted to take a class with both of these talented artists for many years and I am really looking forward to this. The fact that the theme is Steampunk makes it even better! I will post my preparations for class (shopping for steampunk themed supplies - swoon!) as well as pics from class once I am there. Thanks for sharing in my excitement!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Ball Jointed Doll - Sculpting Done

 Sculpting Complete

Well, she isn't perfect and she doesn't stand on her own (yet) but I'm pretty happy with her. I am going to make some adjustments with the elastic to see if that will make a difference but my main goal is to make her wig and start costuming! The theme for this contest is Steampunk. I have so many ideas, now to translate them to a costume.

Standing - not quite on her own

You'll have to excuse my messy studio! I have been working on several things at once and it shows. I am leaving next week for my daughter's wedding so I am hoping to finish her this weekend. I'll post pictures once she has hair and then again with her costume!

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Ball Jointed Doll - Update

She is coming along. I have some work to do before I can finish her. The leg elastic needs to be lengthened, her hands are too big so I need to make new ones and one of her shoulders is too big so I will redo the whole piece. The most important thing that I found is that her neck needs to be reinforced so that it does not crack. I had her legs strung and her head on and I noticed a crack starting along the neck line of her head. I will be reinforcing the neck ring and then painting and blushing everything so that I can string her. I think I can get this done today. Once she is strung I will start on her wig cap (one more thing I've never done :o)

This has been an interesting process. I've enjoyed learning how things fit together, what I need to do to help things fit together and most importantly how to string the elastic which shows me more things I need to do to make everything work together.

To be completely honest, I never thought I would try to tackle a Ball Jointed Doll. I always though it to be beyond my skill level. But I saw a contest on and I bought the kit... and I watched the videos.. and while it is very time consuming it has been fun and I have learned that if I push myself my skill level increases.

I have several other projects that I need to get started on asap so I hope to at least finish sculpting and building her today! (fingers crossed). I'll update as soon as she is standing!

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Zombie Doll Swap 2018

I will be participating in Yarnigras Swapper Spot's Zombie doll swap again this year. The theme for this year's swap is Party. So once I find out what kind of party my partner wants her Zombie to attend I will get started. I love sculpting zombies. I get to experiment with texture and gore.

Val has been hosting the Zombie Doll swaps for quite some time and I have had so much fun making dolls for the challenges. There have been fairy tale zombies, Alice in Wonderland zombies. Pin Cushion zombies and many more.

Stay tuned... I'll share more as I get started.

Friday, September 1, 2017

Updated Week 34 Face

Last week I posted about my 2017 Polymer Clay Challenge head for week 34. I was happy with it but there was just something about it that was nagging at me. So I grabbed it and took it outside to look at it in the bright sun.

The face was FLAT! I had to fix that so I added cheeks.




 I'll be painting this one and hopefully finishing up the Ball Jointed doll this weekend.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Bowl Swap - Complete

I received my polymer clay bowls from the bowl swap this week.

I am really happy with them. They are all different and each used different techniques. Seeing the possibilities has been great.

Here is a sample of the bowl I sent:

My Design using a swirly cane

Here are the bowls that I received in the swap.

From above

WOW! So pretty. Delicate Silver Paint

Reminds me of a Mermaid tail

Inside of the Mermaid Bowl

Lovely Iridescent Wavy Bowl

With a beautiful textured bottom

I'm glad I decided to join in on the swapping fun. Not only did I have a great time making bowls, now I have some different bowls to learn from.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Polymer Clay Challenge - Week 34

Week 34 head for the polymer clay challenge. Getting ready to bake. I am very happy with how this person turned out.

I am trying to get back in the groove of making heads each week. I lost a few weeks making the full dolls but I think I can do both... we shall see.

I am working on the arms and legs of my ball jointed doll. So far I am really happy with how she is coming out.

I'll post more pictures of her later this week.