Thanks for stopping by. For a peek at my studio click here.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Zombie Eyes - Don't read if Zombies freak you out!

For the next Art Doll Quarterly challenge I am working on a zombie fairy tale doll. For this challenge I decided to experiment with the realistic eyes that I learned to make to see if I could make zombie'esque eyes.

Before I got started I did an internet search for Walking Dead Zombies (I'm a fan) and found some pretty gruesome zombies!

Here are the two that really caught my eye and totally grossed me out! So of course these are what I am using as an example.


I have a close up of the eyes in the top picture but they are truly horrible and I just couldn't make you look at them close-up. The artists who do the makeup for the zombie cast in the Walking Dead are truly amazing.

Anyway, I wanted to make eyes that are creepy and more monster than human so I went with yellow and red for the iris. Since the eyes I make are so small you really don't get the type of detail that you see in these pictures but I believe that they will give me the effect that I am looking for.

I choose a cad yellow and medium red to start with. I finely chopped both colors separately then added very small bits of the red  to the yellow and chopped it again, making it the bits even smaller.




Zombie Eye Experiment 1

Eyes Ready for Color and Clay

Ready for Clay and pupils

The above are ready for the iris clay. As you can see I also made some non-zombie eyes. I really enjoy making eyes this way.

I experimented with yellow, red and gold as a base color for the eyes. I think all three work. 

The eyes on the right also glow in the dark

Glow in the dark zombie eyes (Radioactive Zombies?)

I really like these!


So here they are. I think my favorite are the larger set but I am very pleased with all of them. I am ready for the Zombie Swap this year and I think I'll be able to get the look I am after with some of these eyes. Check back soon for a picture of a zombie with these new eyes. 


1 comment: