Thanks for stopping by. For a peek at my studio click here.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Kayaking Loch Ness

Loch Ness, Scotland

When I was a little girl I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. My grandfather was an amazing man. He was a gardener, a fisherman, a boater and more. He taught me how to drive and dock a boat and scale a flounder before I was 10. He also had a subscription to National Geographic magazine. If the weather was bad I would pour over the stack of bright yellow magazines and dream about visiting some of those far away places.

There were so many that I wanted to see, but Loch Ness in Scotland was the number one. I loved the lore of the Loch Ness monster. The stark beauty of the surrounding area and the strength of the Scottish people. That is what I took away from an article in National Geographic magazine about Loch Ness.

When we started planning our trip to Ireland and Scotland each member of our party selected one thing they wanted to do. Mine was kayaking on Loch Ness. Everyone was up for the adventure and that day was one of the highlights of the trip, for everyone.

We started our day in Culloden. I will post those pictures on a later date. After spending some time on the battlefield we made our way to where we thought we were supposed to be and got very lucky that our guide had returned to his office to get additional kayaks for our tour. We followed him to the dock.

He provided us with water proof pants. We all thought is was a bit silly but we put them on and went on our journey. When the rain started we were happy to have them but it was so beautiful we really didn't need them long.

Being on the water was amazing. The water itself looks almost black due to the peat particle floating in it. Looking out on the lake, if you are a fanciful person (I am), you can see how Nessie could survive all these years without detection. The lake is vast and dark. It is shrouded in areas with mist. It is beautiful.
Launching Dock

Heading out to the Loch proper

The weather changed often. It rained, was hot and sunny, rained again 
and was beautiful the entire time. 



Our guide has us stop on this rocky shore for hot chocolate and cake. He sent my son and his friend out into the Loch to fill the tea kettles with water.

My son and his friend


The mist shrouded shores were awesome!

My son and his best friend drinking Hot Chocolate made from Loch Ness water

Here we are, wet and happy on Loch Ness

A Castle on the Loch

Our Kayak Guide

Loch Ness

We did see Nessie. She was much smaller than I thought she would be.

Another Kayaker

While we were out with our guide a couple of kayakers came in from further out on the lake. They also had Nessie with them. 

If you ever get the chance to kayak on Loch Ness take it! It was a magical part of our trip. One that I will cherish forever and hope to repeat.

3 comments:

  1. Was the Loch Ness water magical in any way?

    I'd love to get a sight of Nessie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! It was amazing. The water is dark due to the peat and it feels otherworldly. The whole area was magical, you definitely feel something while on the water. It was better than I ever could have imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, truly amazing! I just read your reply to Laura, I bet it truly was magical! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete